- In conjunction with former Martin employee Dick Boak
- The idea for this model began nearly 25 years ago when Martin installed its first laser engraving machine
- Antique white bindings
- Abalone inlay along the perimeter of the top, fingerboard extension, and rosette
- Nickel open-gear tuning machines with butterbean knobs.
- Dreadnought body
- Solid Sitka Spruce Top
- Solid East Indian Rosewood Back & Sides
- Gloss finish with top aging toner
- Hard Case included
In conjunction with former Martin employee Dick Boak, Martin Guitar is proud to introduce a stunning high-end Dreadnought model: the D-42 Special. The idea for this model began nearly 25 years ago when Martin installed its first laser engraving machine, and Boak began experimenting with various ways to utilize it. Boak created an intricate pen and ink illustration of a complex floral design that was meant to be laser engraved into a tortoise pickguard, but the material proved unable to be safely engraved.
Fast-forward 23 years, Boak came across his original illustration and thought it would make a beautiful piece if inlaid with pearl. He was right! Working with Bill Seymour and Jeremy Chism at Pearlworks, the trio modified the artwork to allow for the detailed pearl inlay work. The resulting prototype won the approval of Chris Martin IV, who asked Boak to expand the design to the fingerboard and headstock.
The model also features premium-grade East Indian rosewood back and sides, with the highest grade of Sitka spruce selected for the soundboard. Scalloped forward-shifted X-bracing ensures the open projection for which Martin guitars are prized. Additional vintage-inspired appointments include antique white bindings; abalone inlay along the perimeter of the top, fingerboard extension, and rosette; a full gloss finish with top aging toner; and nickel open-gear tuning machines with butterbean knobs.
SPECIFICATIONS - OVERVIEW
- BODY SIZE: D-14 Fret
- FINISH TOP: Gloss
- CONSTRUCTION: Dovetail Neck Joint
- BACK AND SIDE FINISH: Gloss
- BRACING PATTERN: Forward Shifted X Brace
- SCALE LENGTH: 25.4"
- BRACE SHAPE: Scalloped
- FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT NUT: 1 3/4''
- TOP MATERIAL: Sitka Spruce
- NECK SHAPE: Modified Low Oval
- BACK MATERIAL: East Indian Rosewood
- NECK TAPER: High Performance Taper
- SIDE MATERIAL: East Indian Rosewood
- ELECTRONICS: None
- ELECTRONICS OPTIONS: Not Available
- RECOMMENDED STRINGS: Authentic Acoustic Lifespan 2.0 - Medium MA550T
- CASE: Ply Hardshell
Product appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.
1x Martin D-42 Special | Limited Edition | Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar | Solid Spruce Top & Rosewood B&S | Case